September 26, 2022 – How did Franklin Delano Roosevelt win reelection with 46 of the 48 states in 1936, despite America being in the throes of the Great Depression? In this episode, legendary historian David Pietrusza to discuss his new book, Roosevelt Sweeps Nation: FDR’s 1936 Landslide and the Triumph of the Liberal Ideal.
Enjoy his previous appearances in our archives where we discuss his books:
- TR’s Last War: Theodore Roosevelt, the Great War, and a Journey of Triumph and Tragedy
- Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
- 1920: The Year of the Six Presidents
- 1932: The Rise of Hitler and FDR ― Two Tales of Politics, Betrayal, and Unlikely Destiny
- Too Long Ago: A Childhood Memory. A Vanished World
Special thanks to Mike Purdy for submitting a video question for this interview. He appeared on the History Author Show to discuss his book 101 Presidential Insults: What They Really Thought About Each Other and What It Means to Us. He’ll be back to talk Presidential Friendships: How They Changed History.